Tuesday, May 11, 2010

BBC Message Board

My question

Dear TeacherI wonder if you could tell me the difference between huge and big. it really drvie me crazy when i tried to tell how to use them in correct. For example, if we describe a lake, can we describe it as a "huge" lake? or just a "big" lake?

Answer

To an extent your question is subjective. In general, 'huge' is bigger than 'big'.The largest of the 'Great Lakes' in the US is 'Lake Superior'. You might say that 'Lake Superior' is huge compared to the other four.

My comment

To my astonishmend, I didn't expect his answers was so succinct like this. Maybe because my question is rather simple than others'. I think, to some degree, BBC Message Board is quite useful because it is like you have a free English tutor. but it seems that when we are asking question, we'd better have the question precise and been narrowed down.

1 comment:

  1. Good point. Having a clear and precise question is very important.

    ReplyDelete